Flood claims process


For flooding damages to be covered under insurance policies, your home will need to be insured through the National Flood Insurance Program. A typical home-owners insurance policy does not cover flooding.

pexels-photo-largeOnce you report a loss to your insurance company, an adjuster is assigned to your claim. The adjuster will work with you to reach an agreed amount for the covered loss.
The estimate (of damages), proof of loss form and any other supporting documentation will comprise the Proof of Loss. It is important to understand the Proof of Loss is not the claim itself, you may have more proofs of loss in order to support your claim. Once you sign the proof of loss form, there is still the opportunity to work with your insurance carrier if you find additional unseen damage from the flood or have a request for additional payment(s) under your claim.

Also keep in mind that even though your adjuster guides you along in your claim process, submitting your Proof of Loss form (with payment requested) in a timely manner is up to you. The quicker you act, the better. Odds are, there are others in the same scenario who also need assistance.

Where do you submit your Proof of Loss in support of your claim?

If your policy was issued by a Write Your Own program-participating insurance company, contact your carrier directly for the address.

If your policy was issued by FEMA through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) Direct Servicing Agent, the only addresses to which your Proof of Loss must be sent is the following:

Regular Mail:
NFIP Direct Servicing Agent
P.O. Box 2966
Shawnee Mission, KS 66201-1366

Overnight Mail:
NFIP Direct Servicing Agent
7701 College Blvd.
Overland Park, KS 66210

Things to do immediately following a flood event:

Don’t throw anything away or start major home repairs before an insurance adjuster has examined the property.

It’s also important to document damages with pictures and notes. Documenting the damage will help the adjuster make an accurate assessment and make sure homeowners get the money they’re owed.

Next steps:

If you are have Additional Living Expenses (ALE)/Loss of Use coverage your insurance company may offer reimbursement for rent for temporary hotel stay(s) or for a temporary rental home until your home is restored. There may also be the option for additional reimbursements like pet boarding* or for meals eaten out*.

CRS Temporary Housing specializes in serving nationwide insurance ALE claims. For temporary housing assignments for both adjusters and policyholders with insurance coverage, call 800-968-0848.

*Your insurance company may or may not agree that these items qualify for reimbursement.






Skip to content